Re: market forces

>>> <SnarleyCo@aol.com> 12/03 8:16 AM >>>
> Nothing better than having a demo in store of a product someone
KNOWS you might like , servrd w/ coffee and the opportunity to "ahh
take it home and mess w/ it a few days"...

I enjoy that relationship at a couple stores, but if the difference
is getting into the > $50 zone, I find it hard to bite the bullet and
pay the extra. I'm financially unable to. They can only match the
truly good deals as the exception. Even Guitar Center has refused to
match existing real prices on the Mackie SRM450 monitors...

But the real cruz of the problem locally-regionally for me is this.
Repair at "Authorized" service centers has amounted to them being
middle men who end up shipping it back to the manufacturer. I can
usually eliminate 2-6 days of them futzing about with it before they
send it to the manufacturer if I just call xyz and get a RA and ship
it myself.

> "stores" like M-Friend (we have a dealership in knoxville) remind
me of Best Buy: Long on discount.....very very very short on
KNOWLEDGE.

Sure some employees at the local shop might be experts about a
certain line or single favorite product... but I ask midi control
questions about a new box and usually get treated like I need to know
too much. I have rarely had them fire up the unit... and lead me to
params for source and destination. This is vital to the way I use real
time control and I've rarely gotten help on this. Meaning I've either
had to buy or download a manual to check it out. Now frequently
manuals never even list the parameters!?

In all cases (for me so far) I've ended up buying the box or spending
a good amount of time at the store to discover these features. This
doesn't endear me to any of the stores I've attempted to pry the info
loose from. Usually they start asking me questions about "What are you
going to use it for?" and actually diverting me from my specific
detailed questions and being more general leaving me with NO INFO on
exactly that which makes it or breaks it for me. They also get
impatient and irritated with sifting through the details... It's just
easier to buy the cheapest one right off the bat and do the homework
myself. If it doesn't fit my needs I usually can get my money back out
of it.

Final impression is that I've been far more frustrated trying to deal
with ANY shops concerning important details about products. So for me
NOT having to talk to them is quite a relief... It's offensive to have
them grudgingly get a manual out for me to peruse...

my .02 cents...
-miko