Vortex sounds "bottled" when bypassed- ot?

Any Vortex users notice that when bypassed the signal sounds like it is in
bottle? I have mine in stereo through my mixer aux send/return- when I have
the Vortex bypassed the sound is bottle like until I dial the Vortex out of
the channel completly-

PS- I was having trouble figuring out why it was not in stereo a few weeks
ago- I discovered that my stereo had been set to mono- duh- (my rig goes
through my stereo system at home)

Cliff