Lexicon MPXG2, SU700, Korg OasysPCI

random thoughts...ran..dom.tho..ugh..ts...ra.n..do...m.th..oug.ht...s :

Lexicon MPX G2 :
Why not save your bucks & get one of these 20 second delay/looping babies
instead of blowing $$$ on a bevy of devices that would be quite an
undertaking to use collectively in the studio, never mind live.
@US$1200 for the rack unit itself + @$400 for the huge MPX R1 pedal board.
It's possible to use it without the MPX R1; the brochure says :
    Control Interface ->
    MIDI: 7-pin DIN connector for MIDI IN/powered bidirectional remote;
          5-pin DIN connectors for MIDI THRU and OUT
    Footswitch: 1/4² TRS phone jack for 3 independent footswitches
    Foot pedal: 1/4² TRS phone jack (10k‡ min, 100k‡ max impedance)

The Yamaha SU700 has a user group at Yahoo clubs. I lost the URL (& my
entire bookmarks file) when Outlook Express did weird thingz to my hard
drive the other day. It would appear that the SU700 & DJRND2 work with a
similar agenda. Seems the SU700 has some stability issues though, and the
keyboard review of it sez the time compression/expansion is not much use.
Otherwise it's a neat idea for a studio looping tool. If they make a next
generation device, they may get it right. Maybe some emails to them
regarding real time looping capabilities (& mucho RAM : 256MB ?, faster
SCSI/ Firewire, better sequencer with step sequencing) would be a good
idea.
U could also try http://www.teklab.com for more Yamaha user groups.

Korg's upcoming Oasys PCI card could be a good thing. Other than the stock
upto 160 second delay line, 3rd party software can be written & loaded into
it, so there's a plan for some enterprising person. Perhaps a super 160
second Echoplex on acid could be coded for it, with full MIDI control.

Anyone here actually own an Eventide GTR4000 with the sampling board ? Just
curious & looking for additions to my people-to-envy list :-)

-drew