Re: Indian/middle eastern sounds, microtonality

Drew Skyfyre wrote:

> If you're really interested in Indian/Middle Eastern sounds, then do not
> stop at Oud or Sitar samples. They have to be played/sequenced in an
> appropriate tuning to sound remotely authentic.

It's more fun to play the real thing. I had a couple
of jams with an oud player recently so I played it a bit.
Whatta blast.

> A Middle Eastern sound is easily achievable :
> In the key of C try tuning your D, E, A, and B notes a quarter tone
> (-49 cents) flat.
>
> You folks should really get into microtonality if you're really looking
>for
> new sounds, a bottomless well of ideas, & an endless source of new
> tonalities. Looping and microtonality holds gargantuan potential.
> David Beardsley's on this list (Hey David howzzit goin ?), he's really
>into
> microtonality. David, makin any nice noizez wizzat DL4 ?

Oh yeah. With the DL4 I also use a H&K Redbox to run the
signal into my board and then into the Digitech 7.6 sec Time Machine
for that stereo A-Rainbow-in-Curved-Air effect.

Maybe I'm ready for dat tonight.

By the way, curious folks might want to check out my
microtonal guitar. 65 frets, 63 notes to the octave.

http://www.organicdesign.org/peterson/customers/catler_ji.html

BTW: Jon Catler [he designed the fretboard] is also a looper. Boomerang.

--
* D a v i d         B e a r d s l e y
*           xouoxno@virtulink.com