Re: R: Indian/middle eastern sounds, microtonality

I opted for the "oud purist" route---altho there's a couple different
"standard" oud tunings (depending on what part of the world you're using
as a
reference point),
if you wanna really learn the instrument and be able to command it and get
the full flavor out of it, you should learn to play it according to its'
tradition, I believe.
Deviate later, after you know the instrument intimately enough to know
what
you're deviating from. Like anything else, it's an investment of
resources,
since "there ain't no free lunch".
Also, I found it imperative to use a the eagle feather-derived "risha"
(nowadays made out of plastic) as opposed to a guitar pick, as the sound
difference is notable.

I'm all for pushing the envelope and experimentation, but I'm wary of
diletantes, as that ends up being self-indulgent all too often, it seems.

David Burk