Re: Sitar Sounds out of a Guitar

>In a message dated 12/9/99 11:20:40 AM, Kojaque@email.msn.com writes:
>
>>I was wondering if anyone out there knows a way to get a sitar-like sound
>>out of a regular electric guitar.  Is there a pedal or combinations of
>>pedals that would do it?

I use a compressor to really squash the signal for maximum sustain,
followed by heavy tube distortion to get plenty of harmonics, then into a
volume pedal so I can fade in each note a little, followed by a parametric
eq and finally the String Resonator patch in an Eventide H3000, to get the
sympathetic resonance effect. I change the resonator notes from a MIDI
keyboard or sequencer. The right combination of resonators and playing
makes decent timbre for Indian-influenced slow melodies, imho.

Oh, I forgot to mention I don't play guitar ;-)... I use this on an upright
bass, but it would probably work better on guitar. Unfortunately, sitars
are still quite a bit cheaper than H3000's, last time I checked...

-Alex S.