Re: sync-ing non-midi loopers/ cheap stereo loopers???

>At 9:24 PM -0800 12/9/99, Jax1723@aol.com wrote:
>>I was wondering:
>>Say you had two non-midi loopers (headrush A and headrush B).   Would it
>be
>>possible to open them up, disconnect the footswitches in A; then hook up
>the
>>footswitches in B to both units (i.e., one set of footswitches for two
>>units)?  The $64000 question is: Since both loops are starting/ending at
>the
>>same time, would they stay in sync or IS THERE SOMETHING INTERNAL THAT
>WOULD
>>CAUSE THE LOOPS TO FLUCTUATE?
>
>no, they won't stay in sync. You have some crystal oscillator clocking the
>system logic of your headrushes. It is pretty much impossible for two
>clock
>oscillators to have exactly the same frequency. They will be within some
>tolerance, so they will be close, but not exact. Clock oscillator
>frequencies will also drift a bit with temperature, age, and the tolerance
>of the load caps on the crystal. If you have no feedback mechanism to keep
>the clocks synchronized with each other, they will drift from each other.

Absolutely true, but might there be some way for the two units to share one
crystal/clock?

>This means, you'll record two loops that will start off together. As they
>loop, the slight differences will cause the loops to slowly drift apart,
>causing phase problems, then flamming, then just odd rhythms. Sometimes
>this can be obvious very quickly, sometimes slow. Just depends on the
>natural random variance between the clocks on the two headrushes.

Cool!  This is just the way I'd want it, myself....

>This is the whole point of why midi sync exists. Pretty much any device
>that is expected to continue running and staying together with other
>devices uses it. (jamman and echoplex are two loopers that do.) Before
>midi
>there were similar control voltage methods that did the same thing on
>older
>synth/sequencers. Midi sync has limited precision, so on the Echoplex we
>took this idea a step farther with BrotherSync. This actually synchronizes
>the sample clocks of two or more echoplexes together, so they stay
>perfectly in sync. It uses a sort of pll-like feedback system that can
>change the frequencies of the clocks in each unit by small amount,
>correcting for any error difference between them. Once they find
>equilibrium, they stay there. So two echoplexes can stay locked together
>very well. I think you can do this in a more limited fashion with midi
>sync
>on a jamman, although then one unit will have to be slave to the other.
>
>If this is what you wanted to do, you got the wrong product. Headrush
>doesn't have any sync features, it's just a simple pedal not intended for
>such use.
>
>kim

No doubt, the wrong product.  Personally though, I think I'm actually
happier with a Headrush and a couple of Zoom 2100's getting weird against
each other than I was with the elaborate EDP.  But maybe that's just my
problem....

David Myers