Re: PDS-8000 / archives

Cliff said:
>I downloaded the raw archive which is a txt file- not a mail file-  how do
>you open it in a mail program? I use Outlook express or Navigator- neither
>will import txt file-

>Kim wrote-
>
>>You can even download a mailbox file of each month
>> which can be opened in most mail programs and read/searched that way on
>> your own computer.

It's a standard UUCP mailbox format, which basically is a text file
formatted in a particular way. This is the way mail servers generally store
mail, and the way most mail clients deal with mail since it's a
long-established standard. Netscape and Microsoft have a long tradition of
ignoring standards, so there's no telling what they do. I'd be very
surprised if there is not way to open such a file in those programs, but I
don't use them so I don't know what it would be. They have to support the
UUCP mailbox format in some fashion, or they wouldn't be able to download
mail from the vast majority of mail servers in the world. I know with
eudora, you can simply open these files like any mailbox, since eudora uses
the same UUCP format for its own mail files. I think most mail programs
work that way. If Navigator and Outlook express can't do this, then you've
got yet one more argument to add to the thousands already available for not
using those programs for email. :-)

kim

http://www.annihilist.com/  |