Re: Indian/middle eastern sounds, microtonality

At 02:03 AM 12/13/99 +0000, you wrote:
>Sorry I'm a bit late responding. My ISP turned to shit for a couple of
>weeks.
>
>>> With re. to looping, one piece of gear that fascinates me & I can't see
>>> myself owning anytime in the near future is Eventide's GTR4000. The
>>> combination of the elaborate delays & harmonizing schemes should make
>for
>>> some amazing possiblities.
>>
>> Yeah, but they harmonize in ji???
>
>I'm not certain about actually harmonizing in JI, however it does do pitch
>shifts with resolution in cents (+/- 4 octaves) in cents. Since Eventide
>doesn't have manuals online, we'd have to find someone who has one & see
>if
>the harmonizations can be fine-tuned in cents. Or possibly by download the
>Mac or Win editor & looking at the parameters. The possiblities from the
>pitch shifted multi-tap delays alone are intriguing. JI should be possible
>with a 1 cent resolution.

Somebody (might have been someone on this very list) directed me to the
Trey Gunn website, in which Gunn relates how he used his GTR4000 as a
solution to the problem of playing with a performer (I recall somebody who
had studied Indian classical singing) who does not play in equal
temperament.  Apparently, the GTR4000 has a pitch correction feature that
gives the user some flexibility - it allowed Trey to set up his GTR4000 to
"correct" the pitches of his 12ET Warr Guitar to the non-equal-tempered
scale the singer was using.  Its in his road diary at
http://www.treygunn.com.

Paolo