Re: DL4 Review

Sorry I was not around to answer the questions raised
by my posting, but there's probably no one better to
answer questions than George Van Wagner. He's part of
the brain trust at Line 6. He's even mentioned in the
manual!

I going to risk incurring the wrath of GVW,(something
I made the mistake of doing over on Guitar Forum about
a year ago), by saying that you can loop in stereo on
the DL-4. You just can't do it using the Looper mode.

If you're one of those folks who are into short loops
(2.5 sec & under), you can do the following:

1) set the bypass to "thru delay" rather than "true
   bypass"
2) dial up a stereo delay model
3) set delay time. You're pretty much doing this by
   ear, as there are no numbers to indicate time, just
   hash marks.
4) set feedback to just under max.
5) play some stuff
6) move feedback to max
7) hit the bypass switch

You have now captured the loop & can play over it
without adding to it. Of course, there are
limitations.
Once you've hit the bypass switch, you can't add
overdubs. Hitting the bypass switch again kills the
loop & returns you to the delay model.

I'm not sure if the loop goes on infinitely using this
method. I did spend 5 or 10 minutes playing over one
of these short loops & did not notice any decay.

I hope I've not come across as nit-picky. I just find
that it's yet another neat feature of this device.

John

--- George Van Wagner <vanwag@earthlink.net> wrote:
> The output of the recorded loop is summed to mono,
> the input remains true
> stereo (ie. you feed a stereo signal into the DL4,
> the L/R channels
> remain separate, however, anything recorded in the
> loop is summed to
> mono, while through signals remain stereo)
>
> When not in overdub mode, there is no generational
> decay in the loop
> recording, so as long as that overdub LED is not
> lit, it will loop
> forever.
>
> George Van Wagner

=====