Re: forward: a protest against sony

The only restriction on recording a cover of somebody else's song is
'first use'. The writer, once the song has been recorded, cannot stop
somebody from recording it under a 'compulsory license'. Royalty rates
paid under a compulsory license are higher than the normal ones, so it
rarely pops up. Probably the best know case is when the Circle Jerks
wanted to record Paul Simon's 'Red Rubber Ball'. Simon hated the idea,
tried to stop them, but ended up just having to settle for the higher
royalty rate (poor baby!). The only instance in which this is not the
case is when the song has not previously been recorded, in which case
the writer has a legal leg to stand on in refusing to allow somebody the
use of their tune.

Royalties for live performances are the responsibility of the venue, not
the artist. Most clubs, concert halls, etc... make regular payments to
BMI and ASCAP to cover royalties on music played in their venue. There
are some places (mostly coffeehouses, it seems) that will only allow
original music, so they can avoid having to make payments to performing
rights organizations.

Suggested reading: This Business of Music. You'll learn more than you
ever wanted to know about publishing, contracts, and how to make sure
that you don't get screwed.

Hope this helps,

George