FWD: [AH] Line6 DL4 modifications

This is a forwarded review of the DL4 with some questions written by
Haible Juergen on the Analog Heaven mailing list. if anyone can help him
please follow up to his address at: jhaible@debitel.net

---------------------------------

> I got my DL4 Delay Modeller last weekend. This
> thing needs some modifications.
>
> Does anybody on the list have the dedicated
> expression pedal ? I need the pinout of the connection
> (pot wiper on ring or on tip of the plug ?), and the resistance
> value of the potentiometer.
> What to do with that ? First, use one the pedals I already have,
> second, use a CV from the Modular to morph between the
> DL4's parameters.
>
> Next thing might be a dedicated switch for backwards mode.
> Something that produces the required double click from
> an extra switch and a little oscillator.
>
> What I wanted to do most of all, sadly might not be possible.
> I wanted to add a negative feedback loop around the whole device
> to get an adjustable fade out of the loop contents in Overdoub
> mode. But apparently there is also some considerable delay
> of the external (analogue, negative) loop compared to the internal,
> digital loop, so you get a weird flanging instead of partial
>cancellation.
> Would have been too nice (;->).
>
> How do I like it, btw ?
> I got a mixed impression. I do not regret I have bought it: I wanted a
> loooong loop sampler, and I got one for DM 650,-. That's what
> I was ready to spend for this function, so the other modes are
> just an extra bonus for me. I was curious about the quality of
> the "vintage" FX emulations, of course. Some I did like better, some
> I didn't like at all.
>
> My favorites are the "low res digital delay" and the "digital delay with
> modulation". The decrease of quality with every reflection sounds
> very similar to many digital delays I've heard. It's nicely emulated
> (but then I think it should be easy to emulate, shouldn't it ?). The
> modulated delay sounds like a slow vibrato in the feedback loop.
> I haven't heard the original Electro Harmonix box, so I cannot really
> compare, but I like the sound. It's as good as on the other digital
>delays
> with LFO that I own.
>
> The "tape echoes" are some funny programs. I own a real Roland
> RE-201 (the reverb-less model RE-101 is emulated as "multi head
> echo"), but none of the other two emulated tape devices
> (called "tube echo" and "tape echo"), so my opinion is restricted to this
> background.
> "Tube echo": Wow and flutter of tape emulation: Not bad. Better than
> I had expected. Tube drive & Tape saturation emulation: What, only
> one knob for both parameters ? I did not like the sound of this
>distortion
> at all. (see below)
> "Tape echo": Treble and Bass, but no more tweakable tape saturation?
> Hmm ...
> "Multi Head Echo". Ok, this is where I can really compare with the
>original.
> There is some tape distortion and wow & flutter, but it's not adjustable.
> And it's way too much "dirt". I do not doubt that there are worn and run
> [...]

     HELP WANTED PRODUCTIONS - Http://www.voicenet.com/~legion
"Bringing you the best in Organic Electronic music since we started..."

Home of the Unusual Instrument and Recording Gallery with pictures and
info of Tube recorders, Omnichords, weird guitars, Casios, and more.