Re: broken Echoplex footpedal

At 8:08 AM -0800 12/27/99, Luis Angulo wrote:
>Hi there,
>I just repared my EDP Foot switcher. Is actually simple; Just buy a couple
>of the same Chinese or better switches and weld them. They are relatively
>inexpensive. Its ashame that Oberheim built such a Powerful unit like the
>EDP with such cheap components,it gives it a bad reputation!
>
>Luis

The echoplex pedal switches were not just chosen for price. They also are
mechanically quiet, and have a reasonably good feel so you can tap
accurately. Accuracy and feel is very important for looping controls,
otherwise you will have a lot of problems tapping the switches in rhythm
and getting the loop length right. I tried a lot of switches when we
designed it, and ended up liking these cheaper ones best, believe it or
not. Most of the heavy-duty expensive ones make loud clunking sounds when
they contact, which is completely unacceptable for a music device. They
also tend to be harder to press, which makes them hard to tap accurately.
Your loops will always end up a little bit off.

Oh yeah, and those heavy-duty switches cost $3-5 each in volume (vs $0.25),
which would have more than doubled the price of the control pedal, which
I'm sure would not have pleased many people. :-)  We figured if anybody
really wanted those, they could go buy them and replace it themselves since
it was so simple to do.

When people have trouble with the switches breaking, it is often because
they are tapping them way too hard. They won't last if you stomp on them
with your motorcycle boots a lot. You have to realize that with a looping
device, you are probably tapping the buttons far more often than with your
average pedal. So they have to endure a lot anyway. Treat them nice, they
last just fine. (Mine has worked fine for over 5 years, never even had to
open it up....)  And really, there is no reason to stomp like that anyway.
You will find that a light touch will give you much more control and
accuracy for tapping in rhythm. The natural inclination seems to be to
stomp hard to be more accurate, when the opposite is more true!

But, if you really do need to stomp, spend $5 and get a dozen replacement
switches from mouser.com. Then don't worry about it and replace it when you
need to. Easy to do and cheaper than guitar strings, drum sticks, sax
reeds, turntable needles, batteries, etc. :-)

kim

http://www.annihilist.com/  |