Some FC-200 answers...

<<Can the FC-200 send MIDI controller messages, e.g. to control a lexicon
unit? I mean, can one or more of the pedals be programmed with a controller
message?

<<I need to be able to send midi messages to different midi chanels and to
do

tap tempo delays as well as start stop samplers etc... Does the Roland
FC200

do this?>>

well, I'm not a MIDI expert, but here's what I can tell you about the
FC-200
(if I'm missing something obvious to any experts, please pipe up!):
It can only send on one channel at a time...I use it to control multiple
boxes with cc messages, using a different pedal/switch for each message #.
Each unit is on a MIDI thru chain, set to the same channel, and when I set
up
controller assignments while patch editing, I've determined in advance
which
pedals and which switches are dedicated to that unit, and use those CC#s.
Of
course, if I wanted two or more units to respond to the same message, I'd
set
up the patches that way.
The FC has 4 modes: Program Change, CC, MIDI note...and also Sysex.
There's a
dedicated mode-change footswitch jack that will cycle thru 'em. It can be
set
to ignore one or more modes. I never use program changes, since I prefer
design patches that have multiple sweet spots via parameter modulation and
use CC controllers to access 'em.
I used the FC successfully to access every option on the MPX-G2, with
perhaps
an extra press required in some instances (I think the A/B switch worked
this
way) with a new patch to initialize values.
When you're in program-change mode, the 6 extra CV jacks are still in CC
mode.
So, I guess it's nowhere near as complex as the Digi pedal, or a Peavey
1600,
but I prefer to keep the MDID tech as simple as possible. Somehow I can
deal
with complex audio patching, but MIDI starts to spoil the fun for me
quickly...
I bought the manual for the FC from Roland Customer service (maybe $10?)
before I sprang for the unit. I'll be glad to answer basic queries on it,
but
if you've got complex questions, I suggest you do the same....but then,
I'm a
manual-readin' kinda guy.
dpc