Can any body explain Time lag Acuumulator?

hello,
My name is Jeremiah i am 17 and my only looping device  is the edp. I like
reel to reel players and was wondering if frippertronics is still
viable(might it be super bad ass if used with Edp?) On the fripp eno album
"No pussyfooting" one side says "2 modified revox a77" and only one mod
a77
was used on the other yet there is still quite a bit of looping. Why was
was
the a77 used? What were the
modifications? My understanding is that the revi used on this album were
stereo two tracks, could 4,8,... track reel to reels be used for
insane density?