Re: New looper guidance wanted/needed

At or around 09:00 PM 12/30/99 -0500, Tim Nelson wrote:

>>How many delay units are needed to do decent soundscapes?
>
>A lot depends on what type of delays you're using; if you've got something
>with a decent live overdub capability (see "Tools of the Trade" on the LD
>site <http://www.annihilist.com/loop/tools/tools.html> you can do a lot
>more than you could with a sample-and-hold delay.

Yes, you can, in some respects; personally, though, I'm happier with my
rack full of old RDS-series delays and the DE-200 than I was with the
Jamman or in my trials with an EDP.  There's something about the old dials
and things in a series that I like, as well as the being forced to be
innovative with what you've got approach to looping.  I mean, for the price
of one EDP, I can have 10 old RDS 3.6s that'll do some pretty amazing
things in conjunction :)

>What many loopers do when
>they upgrade, though, is to hang onto their older delays since you can
>always find some use for a short looper.

You can never have too many delays..

One thing that's probably more
>important than the number of delays in doing decent soundscapes has to do
>with the variety of sounds being input TO your delays; a wide range of
>timbres from your instrument(s) when combined with a looping device's
>overdub capability can sound pretty orchestral, polyphonic or just plain
>massive.

Having some LFOs in the delay unit(s) never hurt either, particularly those
that are non-destructive to what's in the sample-and-hold loop.  This
reason is also why I'm so fond of my ebow and odd things like the EH
BassBalls pedals and similar envelope filters.  Hell, I even like the
oddball digital distortions I've been pulling out of an old REX50 that one
of the fellow loopers sold me a few weeks ago.

==
the Reverend Rob      ICQ: 1280871          Yahoo: theReverendRob
http://www.realm-of-shade.com .`. .`. .`. .`. http://www.qblh.com
"I prefer not to kill people, but I'd like to destroy as much
 property as possible." - Grace Slick, from the Airplane FBI file
http://www.realm-of-shade.com/music : feedback and echo MP3s