Re: New looper guidance wanted/needed

----- Original Message -----
From: Allan Hoeltje <ahoeltje@best.com>
To: Loopers-Delight <Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 1999 6:33 PM
Subject: New looper guidance wanted/needed

> Some general questions:
>
> My first notion is that looping and soundscapes are not really the same
> thing; that looping is more phrase sampling with playback and
> soundscapes is controlled feedback/regeneration.  Is this correct?

For all intents and purposes, looping is soundscaping, and soundscaping is
looping, only "looping" doesn't sound as dorky.  "Soundscapes" is just the
term Fripp uses for his loop-based pieces.  He's using the same equipment
as
anyone else, only with a somewhat larger budget.  The term "soundscapes"
also seems to imply soothing new-age music, which surely doesn't describe
>all< (or even most) loop-based music. You can call your looping pieces
"soundscapes" too if you want, or whatever else strikes your fancy; it's
all
just looping at heart.

> How much delay time is necessary to do soundscape-like effects?

I'm limited to 4 seconds, and I can do a decent imitation of the
late-1970's
"Frippertronics" sound.  His newer stuff is based on much longer loop
times-
"Threnody for Souls in Torment," from The Bridge Between, is based on a
20-second delay, and the stuff on "November Suite" and "That Which Passes"
is based on longer loop times (some I believe up to 2 full minutes!); often
he'll have two, three, or four loops going simultaneously, each with a
different length.

> How many delay units are needed to do decent soundscapes?

I guess the more the merrier; more delay units means more independent
loops.
Just remember that Fripp only had a tape delay for "Let the Power Fall," 2
TC 2290s for "1999," and then moved up to 4 TC's by the time the Projeckts
came along.  I recently moved up to 2 4-second delays, and the
possibilities
are enough to keep me busy for a while.

> Is the EDP suited more for looping than soundscaping?

Again, ain't no difference.

> Can one come close to that Fripp sound without buying lots of TC
> electronics and Harmonizers?

No, although it's amazing what a cheap multi-effect unit and a volume pedal
can give you.  I can't get the sound of a massive choir or 80-piece
orchestra, but I can certainly produce lots of sounds that you'd never
guess
originated on a guitar.

Have fun!

Peter