Re: New looper guidance wanted/needed

In a message dated 12/30/99 6:47:42 PM, ahoeltje@best.com writes:

>In lieu of a proper looping device I finally got the
>courage to combine my GT-5 and GT-3 together with a Macky 1202 mixer and
>fiddle with aux sends, 1.8 seconds of delay, and feedback.

I prefer short delays  (between 1-5 sec.) for looping, mostly because I
find
them easier to use rhythmically,  so long as I have some ways of varying
the
loop as it rolls around. So, I always place some fx afterwards, usually
ones
that have a sweep or step function that can alter the sounds over longer
periods that my delay time, or set to modulate out of sync with the delay
pattern, so it seems to change over a longer time, or to simply not be so
relentless. The Gt-5 can do this all by itself wonderfully, using the
Internal Wave function if the fx doesn't have a builtin lfo. Also check
out
its delay spill-over function: copy the same hold-delay preset to each
slot
in a bank, then change the sounds going into and post-processing the loop
in
each preset. Now you can switch presets without losing the delay contents,
but in each case the loop will sound different, and you can add different
sounds to it.
Also, re: Mackie mixers, I don't remember if the 1202 has control room and
main outs or buss assignment buttons, but if it does, you can use the main
outs to send any and all inputs to another looping delay, then bring the
delay back to a channel strip set to output only to the control room outs,
which is what you send to your monitor. All other inputs are (or can be)
set
to both main (to looper) and control room (to monitor). At
www.vg-8.com/users/, I've posted a schematic of this sort of routing map
using a 1604VLZ, which still surprises me with evermore useful routing
options, after several years of messing around with it.
dpc