First timer...

Here's my deal.

I'm interested in making an unholy industrial / drum 'n' bass hybrid sort
of
music, but first I need to understand some things about each...  I am
using
Fruityloops TS404 (v 1.7.6) with Goldwave and Soundforge to sample, and
Simsynth, Drumsynth, and Subsynth to create cool sounds.

1.  What's the "best" tempo for recording what I want to create?  I find
that fairly speedy Industrial clocks in at 140 bpm, and I read somewhere
that dnb clocks 180 or above.  Should I go for a median, or just do a dnb
speed like 170 and improvise on really fast industrial parts?

2.  Are there any good, free, and really wicked samples out there?  I've
used up Analogue Samples, Kalava, and Samplenet.  How about some free
Synth
software (can't have too much)

3.  Can anyone write up a couple of example melodies that would be used
for
a synth or bass line in dnb?  I guess written in standard notation would
be
nice, but if you can't, just do "Do, Ra, Me, Fa..." etc.

That's about it.  Thanks a lot.