Re: First timer...

alexander -

this is just what my experience has been in electronic music:

drum 'n' bass should be speedy, but if you get too fast (like around 200
bpm), it becomes hardcore (kind of).  you get the idea:  music like this
is
pretty open to interpretation as far as the specifics go. make it quick
and
make it groove ... those are your best bets.  the best industrial stuff
i've
heard uses percusive sounds other than standard drums ... a lot of
klanking
metal and stuff.  a half-time rhythmic feel makes it seem a little
heavier,
then you can segue into a fast breakbeat for a while.

Sonic Foundry's ACID program comes with a lot of free samples with no
royalties, and it's a great all-round beginner's programming tool.  if you
ask me, though, take a tape recorder, go outside and record some messed up
sounds, then run them in with some wav. editor or something. the staticky
tape hiss will give you some indie cred:)

hope i sparked some ideas!