Re: OT linear and log pots

kflint@annihilist.com
writes:

> If that was sold as a volume pedal, it almost certainly came with a log
>pot
>  inside. Get an ohm meter and check it, you'll see! That log pot is what
>  gives you the linear volume change you like.
>
>  hope this helps,
>
>  kim

I've found reality  to actually be a bit different.
(although Kim's detailed analysis is excellent imho)
The impedance of the devices which are connected to  the pot also
effect the response . If this impedance isn't relatively large
compared to   that of the pot then a lin pot will give something tending
somewhat towards a log response, and a log pot will respond so
that 'not much happens till you get to 9'.
By using a pot of the right impedance you can get the response you want.
(But I don't think you'll be able to get the special pots they use in
footpedals nowadays , which have a reduced turning angle)

So sometimes a lin pot would work better in a swell pedal.( There seems
to be evidence that the Boss FV-50L is linear).

Andy Butler