Re: hi all >> Hearing the LOOP!

Rob writes...
> i know you're just joking ... but i still take offence to this sort
of slag-the-drummer mentality. telling the drummer to play to a
guitarist's loops (which are likely either overloaded, wimpish-paddish
and/or out of time-tune) :-=( is like the drummer telling a guitarist
he's cheating
because his guitar has frets. ego damage ensues.

I'd suggest that pads and ambience are very versatile in loops...
they allow other more defined events to co-exist and further define
their ambiguity. It's more likely that you'll hear a pad from a
guitarist and certainly from a synthesist (drums seem to have a harder
time creating pads 8-)).  As for the out-of-tune thing... maybe you
need to meet some new guitarists! 8-)

Anyway... The obvious problem is that one has to listen more
carefully AND actually be able to hear the damn loop to respond to it.

> but seriously: the problem with live looping/ sequencing is that it
can make the music too rigid at times - the damn machines just don't
listen to us!

I agree... that's the real art of looping. Mixing it up and creating
variety. But I'm still willing to believe that it's worth doing.

> ironic: i've actually encountered resistance to my use of
sequencing and looping from guitarists!

The damn hardware is just too damn hard to hug... I've started
playing with a couple guys who mostly play jazz standard gigs. After
going to Burning Man, the keyboard player came back just dying to get
weird so he called me. (that could be a plus or a minus depending... )
It's taken a couple months for them to believe looping is worthwhile
but now they're getting into it!

We've yet to play with a drummer though, so that's still a hurdle we
need to confront. I'm constantly trying to come up with more ability
to sneak loops in and out as well as re-sync them after things start
to wander... Quick mutes and restarts as well as using multiply and
ending with record help create new time sig's and help re-sync things.

best,
-miko