Re: beginner guitar synth questions

> >>Ok, that's an intriguing idea which I'm going to have to look into.
>What
> >>specific analog synths should I check out?

> we are talking about analog synths here, I don't think a piano player is
> gonna care much about how close the low-pass is to a real minimoog any
>more
> than he'll care the tone of a timpani :-)  It's those analog synth freaks
> you have to watch out for, but people I know seem to really like the
> Waldorf Q:  http://www2.waldorf-gmbh.de/products.html

heh.

Well I guess at 50+ synths I qualify as an analog synth freak. i also
play guitar (straight acoustic or heavily processed electric) and guitar
synths (Old Roland analog GR series, midi guitar, etc).

The first question you have to ask your self is do you want to use your
guitar polyphonically (Ie; more than one note as in chords and such) or
for simple leads and monophonic lines.

Unless you are using a dedicated guitar synth or midi interface all the
effects boxes and analog synths are monophonic. Even the polyphonic
synths will only allow you to play into the filter and such so you're
not playing the synth itself but merely using it as a processor.

While I agrere the Waldorf Q is an amazing synth that is well of $2500US
and it still will only let you process through it not play it.

there are a few old analogs with Pitch convertors in them that actually
track the guitar note coming in to oscillators inside the synth and this
might be fun if you're looking to do a lead type thing. The korg MS20
does this as does thre Roland SVC355. both are rare and very $$ of
course. The Korg X911 "Guitar synth" is a msall box geared towards
mangling spounds but doesn't track too well (actually nonoe of the older
analog pitch convertors track well.)

If you just want to mangle the guitar signal beyond comprehension then
something as basic asthe Waldorf 4pole filter box might work. you could
also go the completely other route and pick up a vintage modular like
the arp 2600 or EMS VCS3 (as used by Pink Floyd!) for well over $2k
again.

The cheapest and easier route ti as someone said to string guitar
stompboxes together. You can even throw something like the boss SYB3
"Bass synth" pedal in the loop for good measure. the reissue EH
Mircosynth also does terribly wrong things ot an original signla and
might be worth checking out.

I wrote a detailed post on using FX with guitar a while ago. You can
read it from this link:

http://www.voicenet.com/~legion/guitarfx.htm

good luck!

     HELP WANTED PRODUCTIONS - Http://www.voicenet.com/~legion
"Bringing you the best in Organic Electronic music since we started..."

Home of the Unusual Instrument and Recording Gallery with pictures and
info of Tube recorders, Omnichords, weird guitars, Casios, and more.