From: Kim Flint [mailto:kflint@annihilist.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2000 6:09 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com
Subject: RE: DJ'ed

At 6:46 AM -0800 2/17/00, Mats Eriksson (ECS) wrote:
>Ohh sorry, I meant the other way around:
>Whatever sample, loop I make, it should generate a MIDI clock OUT based on
>the looping points, instantly.

both the echoplex and the jamman have midi clock sync in and out. They work
just like you want.

>And then you should be able to subdivide, or multiply by that PBM.
>
>Thats my problem with Jam Man and Echoplex. They're only able to DIVIDE it
>down, once you've set
>the loop points or echo/delay points. Once it sends out a clock, one
>should be able to MULTIPLY the
>echo/delay or loop point on Jam Man/Exhoplex without changing the MIDI
>clock out to, let's say a drum machine. Then the drum machine would play a
>8 bar, but you put in a 16 or 32 bar loop that will stay in place
>regardless, and not drift out of time after 64 bars... >or more
>interesting,
>a triplet of that, to create polyrhythmical lines...
>/mats

This is exactly how the OB echoplex works for midi sync! For example, if
you have a loop playing and sending out midi clock, you can use the
multiply function to make it some multiple number longer. (2x, 3x, 4x, 27x,
whatever.) The midi clock stays the same, based on the basic loop length
you started with. But your loop is now multiplied longer.

You use the 8ths/beat parameter to set how long your basic cycle is in
relation to the midi clock. (2 bars, for example). This basically sets the
tempo for you.

If you sync to midi clock in, this multiplying happens automatically. So if
have it set for 8-beats/2bar loops, and you leave the loop record going
longer than 2 bars, it automatically notes the 2 bar point as your basic
cycle and begins doing that multiply function for you automatically.
(you'll see the multiple display count up as 2 bars passes, in this case.)
Whenever you end the record, it finishes up the current cycle. In this way,
you can easily record long loops in sync to midi clock. It's very flexible
and totally designed for this live, real-time sort of use. The machine
takes care of everything for you and makes it very simple to use.

And in the next software version, we will revolutionize sync with some
really great new ideas! ;-)

kim

http://www.annihilist.com/  |