Re: Max (was Alt. Midi Controllers)

To All MAX-Loopers!

Thanks for the info.

I got a Kyma system about 2 months ago and while it is GREAT at
manipulating
audio directly, I'm finding it somewhat cumbersome at dealing with MIDI
events.
So I'm thinking that a MAX front-end is what I need.

Alex, I'm especially interested in your quad system.  I've got my Kyma
doing a
bunch of quad stuff and I LOVE animating sounds.  You need to tell us more.
Explain what you mean by "Quad looping is especially fun if the loop
itself has
four channels, as opposed to quad-panning the output of a mono loop."  How
do
you create a four channel loop?  I'm thinking that I create a stereo loop
via
two microphones (usually a coincident pair).  Do you use four mics?  I've
considered this for looping my singing bowls.  Their sound seems truly 3D.
 When
I recording (loop) them in stereo something essential is lost.

>With this configuration one can pan each phrase differently,
>AND cross patch the feedback paths so that each loop repeat comes out
>rotated 90 degrees.

Pictures!  Diagrams!  Details!

>In all fairness it took me three years to write this patch, although my
>excuse is I also have a 2-year old daughter and a day job at Pixar, so it
>probably could have gone a lot faster. I'm planning some performances with
>the system this year; I'll post more info at some point.

Wait!  Three years to write, 2-year old daughter (2 years when you started
writing or 2 years old now?), multiple 3-minute quad loops, feedback
reversed 90
degrees...this is a story problem, right?  I know the answer to this one!
The
guy in the brown house is Tibetan, eats steak, and drinks Guiness, and has
the
jellyfish as a pet!  Right? :)  Okay, maybe I should watch my caffeine
levels...

Seriously, how you gonna package your system for gigs?  Right now, I'm
using
some small Klipsch speakers but I don't have the electronics racked up.

Dennis Leas
dennis@mdbs.com