Re: Loopers-Delight-d Digest V00 #74

In a message dated 3/10/00 7:24:43 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Loopers-Delight-d-request@annihilist.com writes:

<< So,
 if you have a feeling that seems irrational, it's really your ideas that
 are irrational. I strongly suggest you look into Objectivism, the
 philosophy of Ayn Rand.  >>

I had plenty of psudeo-intellectual acquaintences in college, including a
particularly irritating ex-girlfriend (so there's my subjective angle...),
that constantly trumpeted the philosophy and "genius" of Ayn Rand.  These
people all confused their ego with "rationality" and delighted on sitting
around and stroking it ad nauseum.  I gave it a shot, but I thought then,
and
think now, that it's not only utter garbage but intellectually cowardly.
I'm
not going to claim to have read everything by Ayn Rand, but I feel about
it
like I feel about eating fried pork chops:  if you like it and have no
trouble digesting it, good for you, but I didn't see the point in going
any
further than one or two once my stomach was aching.

If you get something meaningful from it, and I mean this sincerely, more
power to you.  But like the more over-zealous followers of any of these
religions you find so offensive, you're making a mistake if you think it
applies to anyone's reality but your own.

IMHO, of course, and as off-topic as ever,
Ken R