Re: Re:OT: Octave

In a message dated 4/7/0 9:42:24 AM, bienappraisers@mindspring.com writes:

>I suppose the EH Microsynth
> is one that stands out and the Blue Box is something I need to hear
>although
>I really would like 100% clean option with solid tracking-

The Micro SYnth is definitely worth investigating, but it doesn't pass the
cleanest direct signal, either, especially when you have a filter sweep or
cut dialed in, the guitar signal is also affected.

When trying it out, I suggest setting the filters (start and stop freqs.)
all
the way up, the resonance all the way down, and Rate all the way down.
This
should pass the cleanest guitar signal. You'll want to start with thw
Guitar
level all the way up. Then dial in your octaves (one up and one down) and
square wave (which is a cool distortion/fuzz). I like to bring the
start/stop
freq. filters down to temper the fizz a bit, but unfortunately the
trade-off
is that you'll be cutting the direct guitar's highs, too.  But you might
find
a happy medium. Great pedal. Try the Bass version, too it has a warmer,
thicker filter section. These can be had for about $240, I bought one at
cost
for $190 I think.

>     I will also want to check out the Digitech whammy as having dynamic
>foot control over the octave effect would be great- this does bring into
>mind looking into all-in-ones ie GT-3/GT5 etc but I am more fond of
>individuals- but you sure cant program em the way you can a multi....hmmm-
>getting more interesting pondering all the time... there just seems to
>always be a trade off when you look into all-in ones- - -

I am very much a pedal guy, I love working with them like little modules
and
arranging them however I please each night, always trying new/old stuff...
...BUT...  I picked up a GT-5 because it was great deal ($250 used, but
never
used!), AND... it's really great!  I'm having a great time and the OCTAVES
are, I believe VERY GOOD. Combining the octaves with
compressor/preamp/eq/filtered reverb, etc.  really makes for some good,
solid, tones. I have dialed natural sounding octaves both one and two
below
or above and the tracking is impressive. But I also have more extreme
sizzling/throbbing high and low stuff going on.  It DEFINITELY takes some
considerate tweaking to make a good pitch shift - don't be turned off by
the
factory presets, they are almost all very lame. I have a very easy time
programming the GT, I've only glanced at the manual a coule of times to
learn
out to arrange effect order, etc.  If buying new, it seems the newer,
smaller
GT-3 is the bargain unit, but I prefer the 5. I don't think I'd pay full
price for a new one, though, they should really drop the price on them.

>     Does anyone know if any of these have a programmable 1/4" out whereby
>you could have certain patches where the expression pedal would be
>controlling the EDP feedback?

Not via 1/4", but I believe you could assign the EXP pedal to a MIDI cc#
if
the plex will do feedback control via MIDI. The myriad possibilities of
implementing the GT's pedal is really cool.

Hey Miko - am I right about this?  Miko and LD'er David Coffin are long
time
GT-5 users.

eric p
echo park