Re: Link to Oakley filter schematics

The filters in the Dual Filter Voicing Unit are geared more towards the
guitar range but w/ some minor component substitutions it performs
admirably for other uses as well.  The DFVU is primarily an
overdrive/clean
boost w/ 2 active filters in the overdrive section.  Being an overdrive,
it
will sound best driving the front end of a tube amp, overdriving the tubes
to create distortion.  It sounds pretty good, but if you're looking for a
conventional filter w/ a wide frequency range, this will probably
disappoint.    OTOH, it's cheap and easy to build.  I would say go for
it.  I would recommend picking up a copy of Electronic Projects For
Musicians if you don't already have one (not just for this, but it is a
really good reference for music electronics in general).

L.

At 11:57 PM 4/10/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Anyone tried building this?
>
><http://aupe.phys.andrews.edu/diy_archive/schematics/oakley/filter.html>
>
>I'd like to try soldering together a filter unit, but recognize that for
>best results (i.e., one that actually works as opposed to sputtering
>sparks
>and crackly farting noises, at least the unwanted ones) the project had
>better be pretty simple. And cheap, too...
>
>Do any of you have any experience building the Craig Anderton Dual Filter
>Voicing Unit (Project #10 in Electronic Projects for Musicians, pc board
>available at <http://www.paia.com>)? Is it at all useful?
>
>Tim

You have not yet reached the height of your depravity.