Non-loop content: ENO and U2

>Ireland and "the Blues": Blues certainly can trace some of it's origins to
>Ireland (Celtic folk -> country -> blues).

i'm not sure if this lineage is entirely accurate ... the guitar itself,
of
course, came from Europe, primarily central and western Europe where the
lute was popular.  with the guitar came a playing tradtion along with the
folk songs of Europe, so certainly that had some stylistic impact on the
Blues, but that style of music itself (in relation to the guitar) came
primarily from the attempt to imitate the African slaves' singing style
using a slide (the melodies of the slaves' spirituals and 'working chants'
relied heavily on gliding notes and quarter-step intervals).  this
original
'blues' music is quite different from what came about in the earlier 20th
century that was called 'the blues', which used more principles from
European music, including the I - IV - V progression, which, for some
reason, seemed to fit with the African-ish melodies very well.  It's out
of
*this* 'country blues' tradition that the original 'country' music came
(as
well as jazz), and, from this, rock-n-roll.  to simplify, i think that
diagram would go something like this:       European folk\
                          orig. blues-'country blues'-country
African acapella singing /

>Other U2:
>Yesterday I was channel surfing during the commute home.  Hit "New Year's
>Day" and left it.  The on came the Eagles' "Peaceful easy feeling".  Found
>out I was listening to a classic rock station.  Got home -- yep, more gray
>hair in the mirror.

man, i'm only 20, and everytime I hear Tears For Fears songs in the
"retro"
slots on the radio, i feel like an old codger:P

zach:)