Re: Negativland becomes U2 becomes Eno

Well said. I agree. I remember the Robert Palmer article
(and I beleive Christgau too, in the Village Voice) predicting
their imminent implosion. In the case of Talking Heads and
Devo, there was also some hostility, too: in the case of
Devo's Are We Not Men sessions, while Motherbaugh learned
and assimilated a lot from Eno, they butted heads quite
often. Note the huge difference between "Are We Not Men"
and "Duty Now.." on the guitar and treatments.

In the Talking Heads case, Tina and and the other Heads
felt a bit pushed aside by Eno and Byrne - of not being
given the credit due them in their own right. This was
Tina's Wordy Rappinghood period, when solo projects were
pursued.

It's illustrative to note that the leap from the Eno-less
"Talking Head's '77" LP to "More Songs about Buildings and
Food". At first the Talking Heads were an arty NY punk band,
Eno put them on track to becoming a viable commercial entity.

And of course, the first Ultravox album. Yet another example
of the Eno touch, and the uncertain aftershocks each protege
experiences thereafter. Ultravox was HUGE, then John Fox left
the band, etc.

> So let me then rephrase slightly my comment amongst many, to say that Eno
> created for U2 an environment wherein they could achieve a sound unlike
> others', that might not have occurred otherwise.

I agree with this exactly.

- Larry T