Re: Non-loop content: musicology

> Now that we've migrated into some sort of historical OT musicology, i was
> wondering if someone could answer a question for me...
>

> I have a couple of "hawaiian/polynesian" records from what looks like
early
> 60's(?).  They are from that period where 'stereo' records were being
> produced and the whole focus was on Stereo, not the image of the band
> themselves.  Actually, it's hard to find the name of the band on these
> records, it all just 'polynesian percussion' and 'island moods' stuff,
with
> big, big, STEREO SOUND icons on it.
>
> Anyway, listening to these records reminds me so much of traditional
> country/folk music.  Does anyone know any historical connection between
> these two styles?  My musical history is less than stellar...

Yes, actually the connection you point is, in particular, the
"coutry blues" aspect was introduced to Country music via
lap steel 'hawaiian' guitar by none othe than Marty Robbins!

Marty Robbins himself embarked on a spiritual quest for the
roots of county music with an exploration of Gun Fighter
Ballads and Trail songs in the '60s too. Excellent LP's btw.

I'm suyrprised Malcolm McClaren's name hasn't come up yet. He
ventured to Africa, the Kentucky Appalachian mountains, the
Missippi Delta and the burned out tenements of the Bronx in
search of rock-n-roll's roots. The resulting album was an album
containing the pioneering Buffalo Gals LP. Malcolm 'discovered'
the World Famous Supreme Team and the origins of scratching
and rapping and is responsible for bringing them to the
attention of the mainstream way back in the early-80'.

Malcolm's influence on Popular Culture is hard to understate.
He's the man who brought us Punk and the Sex Pistols, infused
the aesthetic of 'appropriation' into the mainstream via his
connection with the Situationists, AND brought Hip-Hop from
the streets to our radios and MTV. Quite an achievement.

- Larry T

> >>Ireland and "the Blues": Blues certainly can trace some of it's origins
> >>Ireland (Celtic folk -> country -> blues).
> >
> >i'm not sure if this lineage is entirely accurate ... the guitar itself,
of
> >course, came from Europe, primarily central and western Europe where the
> >lute was popular.  with the guitar came a playing tradtion along with
>the
> >folk songs of Europe, so certainly that had some stylistic impact on the
> >Blues, but that style of music itself (in relation to the guitar) came
> >primarily from the attempt to imitate the African slaves' singing style
> >using a slide (the melodies of the slaves' spirituals and 'working
chants'
> >relied heavily on gliding notes and quarter-step intervals).  this
original
> >'blues' music is quite different from what came about in the earlier
>20th
> >century that was called 'the blues', which used more principles from
> >European music, including the I - IV - V progression, which, for some
> >reason, seemed to fit with the African-ish melodies very well.  It's out
of
> >*this* 'country blues' tradition that the original 'country' music came
(as
> >well as jazz), and, from this, rock-n-roll.  to simplify, i think that
> >diagram would go something like this:       European folk\
> >                          orig. blues-'country blues'-country
> >African acapella singing /
> >
> >>Other U2:
> >>Yesterday I was channel surfing during the commute home.  Hit "New
Year's
> >>Day" and left it.  The on came the Eagles' "Peaceful easy feeling".
Found