Re: creativity

RE: Creativity & Randomness

In the late-70's/early 80's I was a member of a band called
M.A.D.(Mutual Assured Destruction), which consited of myself
and two others.. On our first recording session each of us
took turns recording a track without being to hear what the
other member recorded previously. The only limitation was
that the next person  to record had to choose an instrument
that wasn't used before. You only got one take and allowed
only one instrument.

This was an adaptation of the surrealists' Atrocity
Exhibition approach as applied to 'music'.

Noisy as hell but a big idea generator. It was interesting
from the perspective that the mind will attempt to impose
order even on the most extreme racket. As a bonus, the happy
accidents also begin to sound intentional. You can then use
these raw materials as inputs to the next stage of the music
process.

- Larry T

> Here is my most simple, practical approach :
>
> Lower the output volume of the EDP and create a loop while unable to hear
it.

> Go with the randomness.
>
> More comments : Have you ever seen the book, "The Advancing Guitarist"?
The whole book is filled with approaches to growing, overcoming barriers.
Much of it is instrument independent.