RE: Napster

I happen to agree with Larry.  I've already gone to the record shop (to my
surprise) and bought a bunch of CDs of people whose music I downloaded off
Napster just to "see what they sound like."  At the Napster Web site they
have links to previous legal battles akin to what's going on right now.
Video tape vs. the movie industry; cassette tape vs. the recording
industry;
etc., etc., they all see the end of the world when change happens.  Well,
as
someone already said it this morning, if you don't change, you'll die like
dinosaur.  Actually, that's a bad simile because the dinosaurs were the
masters of change, albeit unconscious.  They were wiped out against their
nature, and they didn't do it to themselves, unlike some other species
could
that we all know and love.  The recording industry will be there 200 years
from now, richer than ever.  They know how to take care of themselves.
Just
witness the efforts of people like Bonnie Raitt, bringing to the limelight
the tragedies of all those blues and early-rock folks who were ripped off
by
recording companies.  There's some of them who even now still owe money
back
to the recording company!  I don't hear anybody complaining about recording
companies like that in our beloved Loopers' Delight.

That's one thing I'm sure of-- if the big bad recording companies die, I
will have a party!

However, the argument about "new music" being promoted through Napster
sounds weak to me.  I can't type "new music" and get a listing.  I only get
listings of artists and songs I already know.  If I don't know it, I won't
likely download it.  I think only if everybody in Napster agrees to share a
folder called "New Music," and put new original stuff in there they want
promoted, and only if folks actually go in those folders to "sample" stuff
(sample like in sampling food), that would be a way new music would get
spread about.

And I'm a Napster addict too.  But don't quote me on that.

Long live Napsterism!