Re: Sampling copyrights

(There are probably a lot of answers to this by now, but)

The last time I read, the amount of time that a sample had to be before it
was illegal was very small, like 1/4 of a second. The Prodigy probably had
to pay a large amount of money for using the Art of Noise's "hey" sample
in
"firestarter". Even though the sample itself is very short, it's extremely
unique and easy to recognize if you've ever heard the Art of Noise song.

My advice would be to sample in a creative way, so that it becomes an
actual
part of the song, and isn't easily spottable as something from a
particular
artist. In other words, don't be Will Smith.

Of course, if you keep your head down, you probably won't get sued for
anything.

Matt