Re: Sampling copyrights

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Cheli-Colando <kevin@minds-eye.org>
To: Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com <Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com>
Date: Wednesday, April 26, 2000 10:57 AM
Subject: Sampling copyrights

>Anyone know what the current fair use for samples is?  Last I knew it was
something
>like 2 seconds and under was acceptable and longer samples than that
>needed
>credit/permission, etc.

I may be wrong, but my understanding is if somebody recognizes a sample and
word gets back to the copyright owner, you're busted.  Length [size ;-) ]
does NOT matter!  Depending upon the copyright owner's disposition, you may
be ignored, praised, asked to pull you product or sued to within an inch of
your life.  Fair use only comes into play if your song is a parody.  Please
take what I write with however many grains of salt deemed appropriate since
I am not a lawyer!

Bill         billfox@fast.net            http://wdiyfm.org
Host of EMUSIC, an electronic, ambient, and space music show.  Thursdays at
11pm on WDIY 88.1 FM, Allentown and Bethlehem and 93.9 FM in Easton and
Phillipsburg.  Email me if you wish to submit music for airplay
consideration.
Visit http://www.crosswinds.net/~shadowplay for the ShadowPlay site.