Re: OT: Audio CD-R vs. Data CD-R

I guess I don't know when to shut-up...

Check out http://www.fadden.com/cdrfaq/ .  It has some really good
information.

>- Traig and others say there is a flag that marks the Audio CD.
>So my Yamaha burner (connected to the Mac) ignores those?
>Or: What is a CD-AUDIO only recorder?

What I understand is that a CD-AUDIO only recorder (aka stand-alone
recorder)
accepts only audio inputs.  They generally have superior ADC than common
soundcards.  They record only CD-AUDIO disks; you can't record data files.
 They
come in two flavors, consumer and professional.  The consumer version will
record ONLY on special CD-AUDIO CD-R blanks.  These CD-R's are specially
marked,
in a machine-readable fashion, so they can be distinguished from regular
CD-Rs.
Consequently, the blank CD-AUDIO CD-Rs cost more due to a tax.  The
quaility of
the CD-AUDIO CD-Rs is no different than regular CD-Rs.  The revenue from
this
tax is paid to the music industry because they have convinced law-makers
that
copyrighted material is being reproduced so they need to make up for lost
income.  Note that NO ARTIST receives any compensation, only the music
industry.
Also, when you duplicate your own songs on such CD-AUDIO CD-Rs, you are
paying
money to the music industry via the tax.  (This is an industry that should
be
preserved???  Sounds like a bunch of thugs, to me.)

CD-R recorders attached to computers do not have such restrictions.  You
don't
have to use CD-AUDIO CD-R blanks.

>What do you mean by cheap disk?
>Does this mean that in my recorder this optimizing process never happened?
>If so, I doubt its necessary.

There is a "trick" you can use with certain CD-AUDIO only recorders to
bypass
the use of special CD-AUDIO CD-Rs.  Load the recorder with a real CD-AUDIO
CD-R.
The recorder identifies the CD-R as OKed by the thugs, I mean generating
revenue
to the music industry, and permits you to continue.  But before you
actually
start recording, you pry out the CD-AUDIO CD-R and replace it with a
regular
CD-R.  Now you burn your stuff onto the lower-cost regular CD-R.  It's
lower
cost because there isn't an added tax.

However, since different manufactures use different dyes in their CD-Rs
(which
respond to the write laser differently), some recorders test the CD-R by
burning
test spots.  Unfortunately, when using the  "trick" above, the test spots
are
burnt onto the CD-AUDIO CD-R which may respond differently than the regular
CD-R.

>Can you give us some sources for those theories? I really want to
>learn all about it...

Here's a good page that includes a link to the FAQ above.
http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~psyche/cdrom/index.html

Hope this information helps.

Dennis Leas
dennis@mdbs.com