Re: general digital recording query

Sorry could you guys develop more on this
I also owe a VS 840 but i never experimented with music computer programs.
just got the Cool Edit pro 1.0 is this a good music program? Am i supposed
to then record on my PC what i´ve recorded in the VS 840?How could i then
record extra guitar tracks do i need a special patch bay for the PC or how
do you input your guitar to it?
Sorry for my ignorance but it would be great if you guys could help me out
bit
I appreciate it!
Luis

Hey Peter,
I've got a VS-880 EX that I love. It's very portable so I can multi-track a
lot of my live shows. I'm sure that some folks get hung up on Roland's data
compression -it doesn't bother me that much.
    On the other hand, I just finished having a record that I produced,
mixed on the stripped down version of Pro Tools and that program is simply
amazing! There's lots you can do on that program that the Vs-880 would find
hard to do. However, You need a really fast Mac and tons of RAM ( 500 megs
preferably ). And , it's not very portable.
    My two cents........
    Mike
    www.mikegeorgin.com
Peter Shindler wrote:
Sorry to distract y'all from the Napster and "can chicks loop?" threads
(both of which I'm enjoying immensely, keep it coming), but here's
something
that's on my mind.
I've just been introduced to the world of digital recording by a friend
who's letting me borrow his Roland VS-840 Digital Workstation.  I've been
having a blast playing around with it, especially mixing-and-matching my
own
guitar loops and noises with Acid and FruityLoops drum sounds.  However, it
occurred to me that most of the cut-and-paste functions I've been messing
with would be much easier if the whole process was done on my PC.  So now
I'm considering buying a package like Cakewalk, and I'm wondering:  Is a
program like that really comparable to a stand-alone recording unit?  What
does the Roland do that a good software program cannot?  And aside from
Cakewalk, what other programs should I be checking out?
Thanks.  I'm sure I'm asking the right people (just keep it clean!).
Peter