Re: playground samples?

I used a portable cassette. A sony Pro Walkman or similar
Denon or something would be ideal, but anything will work.

I used an old mono walkman piece of crap and a Shure
SM-58 (another sturdy piece of crap). I had to hunt down a
Hi-Z-to-1/4" adapter, then put a 1.4"-to-1/8" cord adapter
after that before running into the deck. All these goodies
are available at the mall, Muso store, or Rat Shack.

If I had it to do over I would probably use a shotgun mic.
More conspicuous, but better results.

To control noise, buy or build yourself a windscreen and
record as loud as possible. You can reduce the noise further
with a compressor and/or limiter later. Just avoid ruining the
ambience. In my case I didn't mind the extra noise because
the ambience was so good.

Finally, I treated specific passages with Space Echo to give
the recording a slightly creepier feel. I used it as a bed
underneath the whole song.

Good luck,
- Larry T