Re: tape cartridge for Roland RE 201?

I hope I'm not too late to add to the advice you have sought regarding
making your own tapes. The cartridges are a pain, if you have more than
one cartridge, open it up surgically, match the legnth and angle, and
splice the tape. Getting it back in the cartridge is the real test! Then
use electrical tape to re-seal the cartridge. Check the older music stores
+ pawn shops too, you may get lucky and find some if Roland has
discontinued making the cartridges. I've actually found the sound quality
of the "store bought" tapes can be fairly low.
 I have also had to make my own tapes for several other vintage echo
units.  I can't remember how much tension that unit puts on the tape (and
the splice). The thicker the 1/4 inch mag tape better, as far as the
magnetic tape may stretch if it's too thin. Another key is having high
quality splicing tape on hand, as sometimes the splices if not held
together well, will stretch apart and expose the heads to the adheasive
surface. In a pinch though...I've gotten away with murder using very low
quality magnetic tape + scotch tape as a splice. Either way you go, make
several at a time so you don't get stuck later! All the best!
-akabak

>From: "Dennis W. Leas" <dennis@mdbs.com>
>To: <Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com>
>Subject: Re: tape cartridge for Roland RE 201?
>Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 08:44:59 -0500
>
>I used to own one these puppies and, as I recall, I cut my own tapes
>loops using
>regular "dry" tapes.  They seemed to work OK.  I'd give it a try; tape is
>cheap.
>As Simon says, just splice it at an angle.  Try a short loop first.
>
>>Note that the 1/4" (nearly) tape used for the 201 is the
>>lubricated type. Normal "dry" tape will not work.
>
>Dennis Leas
>-----------------------------
>dennis@mdbs.com

>>> Canberra