Re: Listen to This...

Far out, I've already seen more than a few things I think I need to check
out.  A handful I had to mention:

Steve Tibbetts - anything at all really, a great looper

                         Yr is his first album, considered a definitive
recording by people who like to
                          be quoted, I think it's pretty groundbreaking,
could use a little more bass
                          (sorry Steve, I know you did it in your basement
on an 8-track, right?)

                          Safe Journey opens with a fairly intense track
and
then settles into some
                          of the best textural, "ambient" music I've heard
-
lots of subtlety, esp. that
                          bizarre bell tone in the last track, sounds like
he miked a cute little
                          resonant bell and then fed the signal through a
phase/delay feedback loop
                          turning it into the Buddha Bell from Mars

                          Exploded View is probably one of the most intense
guitar albums I've
                          ever heard - listen to Name Everything and you
know what I mean.  It's
                          like he got into a serious recording facility for
the first time and went
                          ballistic.  Lots of phenomenal tape loop
manipulation weirdness here

Aphex Twin - esp. the Digeridoo track, one artist who makes me wonder "what
the f**k IS that?"

Uakti - another vote! make their own acoustic instruments & hit them with
subtlety, thank you Brazil!

Zap Mama - mmmmmmmmmm

Leo "Mr. Fingers" Kottke - says his singing sounds like a crow farting, but
dig the album
                         "Standing in  My Shoes"

Love,

Mike