Re: current reading? (OT)

Current reads are:

Music, Cognition, and Computerized Sound  - an introduction to
psycoacoustics
- edited by Perry R. Cook
Chapters written by:
John Chowning - Inventor of FM synthesis, various other credits, worked
for
Bell Labs
Perry R. Cook - Synthesis, real time controller development and physical
modeling of sound.
Brent Gillespie - Music related Mechanical engineering.
Daniel J. Levitin - Works with music and memory.
Max Mathews - the MAX program was named in his honor. Worked at Bell Labs,
known as the father of computer music.
John Peirce - Bell labs - Way too many things to list.
Roger Shepard - Cutting edge stuff in the study of human perception.

Current Directions in Computer Music Research - Edited by, Max Mathews and
John Pierce
 Great text on the subject. Many articles compiled here.

The Audio Dictionary - second edition - Glenn D. White -
Check this book out. It covers just about everything and is a great place
go to expand knowledge of just about everything audio. Since I've been
plowing
 through this book definition by definition (an easy task seeing how all
of
the subject matter is vastly interesting) I've come up with so many new
interests and ideas for further study. Great read.

Earlier post:
>>A few weeks ago, I read Brian Greene's book about the Superstring Theory:
>>The Elegant Universe. An extremely interesting read. The one underlying
>>principle of the universe really seems to be vibration, oscillation -
>>waves, or perhaps, in terms of musicians, music and harmony.

  Yesterday morning I broke my finger at work and right after it happened
noticed how the nerves pulse and throb in pain. I was fascinated by the
way
it oscillated. When I got home I picked up a note book and started to keep
records on the feelings of pain. I have converted a few of the pain
feelings
into sound already. The idea is not to create painful sounds but the sound
of
the pain. I hope to put together a track that records the healing process.
doubt it will have a 'healing sound' to it but that is not my intention.
There are many overtones and layers within a single feeling of pain. I
must
admit I felt like I cheated my goals when I took a vicadin last night.
Perhaps I'm taking this too far.

Where there are waves, there is music.

All the best,
Peter B