ebow, tamboura & accoustic looping (mikes?)

--- James Pokorny <j.pokorny@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> I've used the e-bow with all these instruments
> both unamplified as well
> as with temporary pickups.

In general for looping accoustic instruments, as well
as specifically for these Indian gourd-based
instruments, what type mike works well...(i've had bad
luck with contact mikes on a sitar)  I'm currently
considering the Crown miniature omnidirectional mikes
or binaural mikes a couple of folks mentioned here
before for looping several percussion & stringed
instruments, as well as occassional field sample
recording. How does one deal with isolating the new
loop material from the currently sounding loop if
you're not using a contact mike?  Is it usually an
issue?

> 1)  as Bobdog mentioned since the e-bow's magnetic
> it simply won't work with
> brass or bronze strings

ahhh, i hadn't even thought of that.  I have a female
vocal tamboura and Ali Akbar school told me that the
'pa' on these is usally steel, (mine is bronze) as are
the 2 'sa's, so i'm getting new strings, and 3 outa 4
ain't bad.

> generally does not excite the sympathetic strings

bummer!

> 4)  Back to the tanpura (and to looping) -- I've
> found that a really rich
> drone can be created by looping the plucked sound of
> the tanpura first, then
> overdubbing a single e-bowed string (or multiple
> overdubs of the strings).

good idea.  I'm looking to also use the tamboura as a
poor-man's vichitra veena (the fretless one) by using
a slide on it with the ebow.

=====
Stephen