Re: OT: sitar-style bridge

Yep, I once built a copy of a Coral electric sitar that used the same type
of bridge. Rather than as on a normal bridge where to minimize buzz the
idea is to have a very small point of contact between string and bridge, on
a sitar-type bridge you want to have maximum contact (but very light, to
allow the string to vibrate). To allow for the change in string angle as
you move to the higher frets and also for your fretboard radius, the bridge
must have a gentle curve to it, rather like the cross-section of an
airplane's wing, only more subtle. I remember doing a lot of sanding on the
block of hardwood I used for mine to get the angle right. I mounted the
block on a pair of tune-o-matic posts, and had adjustment screws coming in
from the back a la Leo Quan's Badass design for APPROXIMATE intonation
tweakage.

As far as a bridge that could be quickly popped in, you'd probably run into
intonation problems due to shorter scale length. If the guitar you plan to
use for this has a separate bridge and tailpiece and you don't mind
loosening the strings, you might be able to set something up that would use
the same bridge posts and would be FAIRLY quickly interchangeable.

Tim