RE: re-mixing/sampling

On Sun, 25 Jun 2000, Javier Miranda V. wrote:

> My theory is that such lazy bums should (a) play the instrument
>themselves,
> or (b) get somebody to play the darn thing....
>
> All this talk about deconstructing a mix that somebody spent many hours
>and
> sweat on is a little bit disconcerting and desperate-sounding to me.
>
> Make your own damn mix.

Oh, I agree completely.  However, as a computer geek I find the problem
fascinating.  If such a device (be it software or hardware) could be made
to do this there would be miriad uses for it besides deconstructing a mix.
Pulling weak signals or voices out of radio transmissions or isolating a
single instrument for learning purposes are two possibilities off the top
of my head.

I'm all for playing the music yourself, but from a scientific perspective
it'd be great to figure out how to do this.

---
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear
 to man as it is, infinite."  -- William Blake

Todd Pafford   galen@erols.com