Re: xenakis and "drumming" and Jam Man

Hi,

Xenakis' "Bohor 1" is one of the most incredible pieces I've ever heard.
Does anyone know if there has been any re-release on CD of this?
All I know of is the Nonesuch LP from the 70's which I still have.

Xenakis' music is certainly more "mathematical" than Reich's, though
"Bohor 1"
in particular has an organic, sound-exploration quality to it that was very
inspiring to me early in my career.

Interestingly, and related to this list, Steve Reich's work with
"phasing" came about more as an accidental
discovery than as an exploration of a mathematical idea.  Before
"Drumming" came works
involving tape loops of identical vocal material ("It's Gonna Rain")
on different reel-to-reel tape decks that,
after initially starting in unison, of course drifted very slowly out
of sync with each other.
This idea was then applied to a live musician with tape loop ("Violin
Phase"), and then
musicians without tape ("Piano Phase" and "Drumming"), drifting in
and out of sync with each other
in an organized way.

When I played in Steve's group in the 70's, I don't believe I ever
actually saw a score to "Drumming" - it
was just taught to me by example.  It was an incredible piece to play
(as were others from that era) because you had to pay attention while
letting yourself go to become part of the group groove - a kind of
active trance.

Anyway, does anything exist like a stereo Jam Man?  Or is that coming
with the Repeater?

Thanks!
David Van Tieghem

--

DAVID VAN TIEGHEM
Composer/Percussionist/Performer/Sound Designer