Re: Damon, Why CF ?

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, Alex Stahl wrote:

> At 12:32 AM -0700 8/9/00, Kim Flint wrote:
>
> Sure, it is easy to imagine a "performance gesture" which involves
> simultaneous manipulation of several dozen parameters ... I'd
> rather move around continuously between various interesting and
> complicated settings, zooming in and out between macro and micro
> gestures.
>
> So one interesting avenue of exploration, for me at least, is to work
> with placing presets in a spatial arrangement, then using some kind
> of multiaxis controller (like a joystick or my "joypedal") to move
> around in the sound space defined by the placement of these presets,
> interpolating between them.
>
> I've used this a lot for effects control (simple example: lower left
> corner= dry, lower right= thick delay/reverb/wash, upper left=
> grungy, upper right = the whole nine yards). I've been recently
> extending the idea to loop control, and find it pretty intriguing.

Hey, that joystick idea sounds cool.  I'd love to fiddle around with
something like that.  Maybe time to whip out the soldering iron again. :)

Your mention of gestures reminded me of a page I stumbled on recently
while cruising through the Paia web site.  This guy has wired up three
of Paia's Theramaxes (Theramin) as continuous controlers.  He's mounted
them so that movement of his body as he plays can control various
effect parameters.  Check out http://www.paia.com/georgemc.htm for a
couple pics and paragraphs about his set up.  Looks really interesting.
I'd love to be able to stick my foot out for a sudden outrageous distorted
feedback howl or something...maybe wave a pinky to send the bass player
into reverb hell...muhahaha....

---
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear
 to man as it is, infinite."  -- William Blake

Todd Pafford   galen@erols.com