The Opportunity to Hear Each Others' Loops (Was: EMUSIC Top 20 for July)

At 04:57 PM 9/2/00 -0700, Gary wrote:
>misspelled it too

Yeah, I sort of $#*&ing paraphrased, but kept the gist of it! :^)

But anyway, the thread Javier was talking about has come up before, and I'm
sure it will again.

On the one hand, postings promoting local gigs and radio broadcasts that
most of us can't be involved in AREN'T universally appreciated, but all the
same, they can be useful. Even if we can't make it to the show, we can
still keep our thumbs on the pulse of which venues are happening and are
more or less "loop sympatico". Occasionally, listmembers have travelled to
"meet and greet" at such events. Playlists for programs like Bill's can be
a resource for finding out about artists we may not have otherwise known
about. And there's always the "delete" button...

My suggestion that Bill reserve regular spots for us on his playlist was
made with tongue in cheek, but at the same time it only makes sense that a
virtual community based around music makes the most of every opportunity to
hear what its members are doing. The original Looper's Delight Subscriber's
CDs <http://www.loopers-delight.com/cd1/LDCD1.htm> and
<http://www.finleysound.com/loop/> were a start. Since then, LD listmembers
have been involved in a number of spin-off projects such as:
<http://www.loopxchange.com> and <http://www.mp3.com/sourceproduct> and
there are several others in the works.

The Loop Artists of the World page on the LD site
<http://www.loopers-delight.com/cgi-bin/profiles.cgi> includes a field
where listmembers can supply a link to places where their music can be
heard. However, the site really doesn't have a "Links" page per se;
wouldn't it be cool (Kim?) if there were a page where a bunch of links to
listmember-related projects were assembled in one place? And wouldn't it be
even cooler if more listmembers took advantage of the new technology
(mp3's, home cd burners, etc.) to participate in the sorts of projects that
would allow us to hear each other?

Tim