Re: WAY OT: Warez - A Rebuttal

->
>Frequently, actually. And from people who aren't in the software business.
>
>One of the most respected books on computer programming is Donald Knuth's
>_The Art of Computer Programming_.
>
>You seem to imply that anything that has as one of its goals making money
>can't be considered "true art". Michaelangelo did plenty of work for hire.
>Are you saying that none of that could be considered "true art".

A couple of years ago I downloaded a book called The art of lockpicking
(really, i'm not joking).
Does this mean that lockpicking is an art? that burglaries should be
copyrighted? etc...

And yes, something with a financial goal in mind isn't art. somebody who's
primary goal is to earn money with his "art" isn't an artist nor is his
work
art. It's not wrong if a piece of art gets well paid. The force behind the
creation counts, IMO. so, computer hackers and freeware coders are artists.
also those who first got the idea and then started with "marketing".

greetings,

gregor