Re: good-natured knifetwisting

At 11:04 AM -0700 10/3/00, rich wrote:
>>most of the real musicians on this group are old hippies anyway . . .
>check
>>the archives

There go the baby boomers again, trying to claim all sorts of glory for
themselves.... :-)   real musicians, sheesh...

>What this has to do with looping, ya got me.

>Saw 'Hi Fidelity' this last weekend.  Enjoyed the two punk rock kids
>that John Cusack tries to pidgeonhole their music tastes based on
>their looks, and they totally do a 180 on him.

I saw it this weekend too. I loved it that he caught them stealing Ryuichi
Sakamoto albums.....

>Seems like a nice
>side effect of this music/technology/genre splitting/fashion
>explosion that we're having is that you REALLY can't judge the book
>by it's cover anymore...

that's for sure. Portions of my hair are very purple (this week....), and
the haircut style is definitly not a common one. Yet I work in a very
conventional corporate office managing a team of hardware engineers. (if
you don't know engineering culture, HW engineers are not ever freaks the
way software engineers sometimes are...:-)  Its quite a discontinuity,
really, and I think it throws people off in both directions. (which is
great fun.)  But it amazes me how little my appearance seems to matter. I
notice when I'm in meetings with other professional types, my hair might
catch their attention for a moment, and then it's like they completely
filter it out and don't notice anymore once the meeting is going. It
certainly didn't affect my career in any way. In fact, some of my boring
coworkers seem to live vicariously through me wishing they had the guts to
dye their hair funny colors too. I haven't talked any of them into it yet
though. :-)

kim