Loop dynamics in performance

>In particular, I'm interested in learning how to
>control the
>effects/dynamics of concurrently-playing layers of a
>loop.  For instance,
>we have figure A and figure B playing over drone D.
>What mechanisms do you
>employ to alter A while not B or D?  To remove B?  To
>bring it back?

I'm really glad you asked this - I'm very curious to
hear everyone else's responses! =)

In my own setup, it's pretty easy to alter one loop or
the other.  Once the Boomerang's loop has been set,
new material is not added until you press the STACK
button, so I can play as much as I want without
affecting the loop contents.  With the RDS, I have a
footswitch plugged in to control the Infinite Hold
function, so I can open and close the loop at will.

Bringing loops in and out is variably difficult
depending on which loop it is.  I prefer to have as
much control as possible by foot, keeping my hands on
the guitar.  The Boomerang has a foot roller that
controls the output level of the loop through the main
output, so I can fade loops in and out as I please.
The roller does not control the level at the aux out,
but since I have a volume pedal inserted between that
output and the Digitech S100, I can fade that in and
out as well.  This also lets me do fun things like
continuously adjust the ratio of dry:effected signal
while I'm playing.  To change the volume of the RDS
loop, I have to take my hands off the guitar (boo!)
and tweak it at the mixer (I prefer to leave the input
and output level knobs on the unit set where they
are).  I could also open the loop with the footswitch
and let it decay to silence (provided I don't play
anything in the meantime); the maximum feedback
setting on the unit still fades out fairly rapidly
with a 1-2 sec loop.  If I have both units going
simultaneously, I usually end a piece by fading out
the 'Rang with its roller, and then opening the loop
on the RDS and waiting for it to decay.

Using a looper which is capable of switching between
multiple loops would open up a whole 'nother cauldron
of icthyoids, but I'd better let the experienced folk
comment on that. =)  In addition, the EDP is capable
of much more extensive manipulation of loops:
replacing material instead of overdubbing, multiplying
short loops and then overdubbing longer phrases on
top, etc.  Hope this info helps!

Scott Martin
coirbidh_99@yahoo.com